Disability Rights Advocate - Housing Specialist
Starting Pay Rate: $17.95 per hour
- Flexible work schedule menu to include the ability to work: a four-day work week, nine-day biweekly schedule with a three-day weekend every other week, or a typical five-day work schedule.
- 16 vacation annual days, 12 annual sick days, and 11 annual paid holidays
- 401K 6% match
- Heavily subsidized health/vision/dental insurance
- Additional benefits available
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Remain informed of disability regulations and policies in order to provide information, referrals and educational services.
- Identify appropriate housing opportunities suitable for residents trying to leave a nursing home.
- Encourage and educate consumers in self-advocacy.
- Assist eligible participants through all necessary steps in the housing process.
- A College Degree is preferred; a High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Two years of experience working with people with disabilities.
- Knowledge of benefit programs, such as Medicaid, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Independent Living Movement, and disability rights legislation.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Computer skills.
The COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for this position. RCIL will engage in the accommodation process when an exemption is requested.
RCIL is a civil rights organization that offers individuals with disabilities a wide range of independent living and advocacy services through the numerous programs we manage.
Travel Required: Yes
Location: Utica, NY
A hard copy of your resume and cover letter may also be forwarded to: RCIL, P.O. Box 210, Utica, NY 13503-0210, Attention: Recruitment.
It is the policy of RCIL to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need assistance or accommodations to fully participate in the interview process, please contact the HR Recruiter at 315-272-2994. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a person’s disability.
RCIL promotes a scent/chemical free environment. To support this effort, we ask that all applicants refrain from wearing scented products while in the office.
RCIL is an equal opportunity employer. All persons—including people with disabilities; seniors; women; and people of racial and ethnic minority—are encouraged to apply.
It is RCIL’s policy and agency standard that all employees participate in advocacy for Civil Rights and Agency activities. Apply today to make a difference!