Skip to main content
Independant Services

Whether you want to remain living at home or you're in an institution and want to move back into the community, RCIL will help you find the services and supports you need to live your life your way. 

Veterans-Directed Home and Community Based Services Program

Smiling Veteran by the river holding a dogAre you a veteran who is concerned about ending up in a nursing home? Would you prefer to receive services in your own home and community instead of going to a nursing home or other type of long-term care facility? If so, this program is designed to meet your needs!

The Veterans-Directed Home and Community Based Services Program (VD-HCBS), enables Veterans of any age to direct and prioritize their own plan of care, while living in their own homes. This program allows Veterans to choose their own staff and act as employers who hire and supervise their own staff instead of receiving nursing home care from the VA (Veterans Association). Participants have control over their own flexible budgets and get to decide for themselves what mix of goods and services best meets their needs. 

Objective: Keeping Veterans of all ages living independently in their own homes and active in their communities as opposed to living in nursing facilities.

VD-HCBS services include (but may not be limited to):

  • Shopping,
  • Running errands,
  • Socialization services,
  • Home and safety services,
  • The installation of wheelchair ramps,
  • Bathroom grab bars, transfer benches, bath stools, etc.,
  • Special phones and other audio devises for the hearing impaired,
  • Visual aids,
  • Laundry assistance,
  • Meal preparation, and
  • Housekeeping.


Eligibility Requirements: 

This program is open to veterans of any age, provided that they require nursing home level of care (skilled health-related care due to a mental or physical condition). Participants in this program receive a monthly budget that can be used to pay for a wide range of personal care services.


Counties Served: Otsego


How to apply: Contact your county’s local Office of the Aging.

Request more information by calling or filling out our inquiry form.

This document was developed under grant CFDA 93.778 from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. However, these contents do not necessarily represent the policy of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and you should not assume endorsement by the Federal Government.