The Resource Center for Independent Living is looking for a General Counsel to provide legal counsel and advice to RCIL and affiliates. The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Maintain familiarity with all requirements of law and regulation affecting the operation of the agency and its affiliates, specifically employment laws, and state agency regulations;
- Provide legal counsel and support to the company and respond to inquiries from staff regarding various legal issues;
- Review, advise and develop policies, procedures, handbooks and updates; provide guidance on policies or procedures that should be developed to promote compliant and efficient operations;
- Advise Leadership on contract status, legal risks and business terms of various deals;
- Partner with Human Resources, Risk Management, Compliance and other departments to assist in the successful implementation of their areas of responsibility;
- Review business operations to maintain compliance in all legal aspects and develop legal opinion, with in-house or outside resources. Maintain documentation based on legal reviews that supports business decisions;
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of HIPAA issues; advise on privacy incident investigations and approach complex data privacy protection and needs within the company; and
- Directly perform legal tasks of varying nature related to the operation of a non-profit business. Review, negotiate and draft contracts between RCIL and other companies, state and federal agencies, etc.
RCIL is a civil rights organization that offers individuals with disabilities a wide range of independent living and advocacy services through the numerous programs we manage.
Who may be considered:
At least three (3) years of legal experience in the corporate or not-for-profit environment are required. Successful candidates will have knowledge of laws and regulations governing a 501C (3) non-profit, New York State labor laws and regulations, and knowledge of the Independent Living Philosophy and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Excellent oral and written communication skills, effective research ability, and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality are required for this position.
A J.D. Degree from an accredited higher education institution and membership in good standing in the New York State Bar is required.
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: Utica, NY
How to Apply:
A hard copy of your resume and cover letter may also be forwarded to: RCIL, P.O. Box 210, Utica, NY 13503-0210, Attention: Recruitment.
It is the policy of RCIL to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need assistance or accommodations to fully participate in the interview process, please contact the HR Recruiter at 315-797-4642. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a person’s disability.
RCIL promotes a scent/chemical free environment. To support this effort, we ask that all applicants refrain from wearing scented products while in the office.
RCIL is an equal opportunity employer. All persons—including people with disabilities; elders; women; and people of racial and ethnic minority—are encouraged to apply.
It is RCIL’s policy and agency standard that all employees participate in advocacy for Civil Rights and Agency activities. Apply today to make a difference!